Candice Hern is the award-winning author of historical romance novels set during the English Regency, a period she knows well through years of collecting antiques and fashion prints of the era. She travels to England regularly, always in search of more historical and local color to help bring her books to life, and prides herself on the detailed research that goes into each novel. Her books have won praise for their "intelligence and elegant romantic sensibility" (Romantic Times) as well as "delicious wit and luscious sensuality" (Booklist). Her first book was published in 1995, the result of winning a writing contest.
Originally from Texas, Candice grew up in California and lived for many years in San Francisco. She now lives in Minneapolis, MN, where she is still getting used to the winters. She has degrees in Art History from the University of California. Before becoming a fulltime writer, she spent several years in high tech marketing, and her last position was as Director of Marketing Operations for a software company. Her award-winning website is often cited for its Collections and its Regency era information. It is the only author website listed among the online resources at the Jane Austen Centre in England, and has also been referenced by the Museum of London.
Photo for Publicity Purposes
Candice appreciates your requests for photographs for press use. The photo shown here is available for download. Simply click on a link below. All images are jpgs; pixel dimensions denote height. Please let us know where you post your article so we can link to it. Thank you!
Awards and Honors
- The novella "Fate Strikes a Bargain" from the anthology It Happened One Season won the National Readers' Choice Award for Best Novella of 2011.
- The novella "From This Moment On" from the anthology It Happened One Night was voted Best Short Story of 2008 in the All About Romance Reader Poll.
- Lady Be Bad won the Write Touch Readers' Award for Best Historical Romance of 2007.
- Just One of Those Flings won the National Readers' Choice Award for Best Historical Romance of 2006.
- In the Thrill of the Night won the Booksellers' Best Award for Best Short Historical Romance of 2006.
- In the Thrill of the Night won the Romantic Times Reviewer's Choice Award for Best Regency Historical of 2006.
- Two of Candice's books have been named among the Top Five Romances of the Year by Library Journal -- The Bride Sale for 2002 and Once a Gentleman for 2004.
- Once a Gentleman won the Golden Quill Award and the Write Touch Readers Award, both for Best Historical Romance of 2004.
- Once a Scoundrel was voted one of the Top Ten Favorite Books of 2003 by Romance Writers of America (tying for #1).
- The Bride Sale won the prestigious HOLT Medallion for the Best Historical Romance of 2002.
- Miss Lacey's Last Fling won the Booksellers' Best Award for Best Regency Romance of 2001.
- Three of Candice's books have won the Colorado Romance Writers Award of Excellence -- Her Scandalous Affair for Best Historical Romance of 2004, Once a Scoundrel for Best Historical Romance of 2003, and Miss Lacey's Last Fling for Best Regency Romance of 2001).