This painting, along with its companion piece The Second of May 1808 depicting the suppression of the uprising, were commissioned after the fall of Napoleon by Ferdinand VII, King of Spain to celebrate the bravery of the people of Madrid. He disliked both paintings and they were not hung publicly for many decades. Recognized today as masterpieces, they both now hang in the Museo del Prado in Madrid.
Looking for something specific?
Search This Site:
Subscribe to Regency World
Click here for Candice's Regency World RSS Feed